5 Ways You Can Slow Down This Holiday Season
The holiday season is here! Are you ready for it?
This always seems like such a crazy-busy time of year. 🤪 On top of all the normal life stuff – work, family, driving kids everywhere, dinner, laundry (ugh, the laundry!🧺🤦♀️) – we have to add in all the extras – parties, kids programs, gift shopping, all the planning and cooking… Who has time to do all that? It’s exhausting, right?!
So what’s the answer?
You’re probably going to think I’m crazy… But the answer is to SLOW DOWN!
I told you it was crazy, but hear me out…
Busy Mama’s can get so caught up in the busyness of the holidays that we wear ourselves out. We keep going and keep pushing through the chaos and exhaustion until we crash. And that’s not serving anyone well!
But if we can remember to slow down just a bit, take a breath and get present, not only will we be more productive and more resilient, but we will be able to appreciate the holidays even more!
Now maybe you aren’t convinced yet… Maybe you’re still thinking if you slow down you’ll get even further behind. So let me clarify…
I’m not talking about stopping or not doing. I’m talking about relaxing into the moments, slowing down to smell the roses (or turkey🍗 ) so to speak, and enjoying what is happening around you, instead of rushing through to the next thing, stressing out and missing all the good stuff.
- Here are some practical ways you can practice slowing down this holiday season:When you notice yourself feeling stressed, close your eyes (unless you’re driving, of course) and take three slow, deep breaths. This only takes a minute or two, and it has a physiological effect on your body, helping you relax.
- Delegate and delete anything you can. Consider asking for help with the meal plan and food. Most people would be happy to help out with that. Look for ways to reduce your shopping tasks. I let Amazon do the wrapping and shipping for my out-of-town gifts. 🎁 And I can do that from the convenience of my own home! Don’t want to go to your cousin’s neighbor’s house for that party… Then don’t! It’s completely okay to say NO 🚫 to things that aren’t really important to YOU.
- Be mindful of what you eat and drink. 🍪🍸 We are surrounded by temptations this time of year, and some of it is just too yummy 🤤 to pass up, right?! But that doesn’t mean we have to overindulge. Excess sugar and alcohol cause physiological stress to our bodies, making us even more tired and less productive. So stick to enjoying your absolute faves, and pass on the rest.
- Honor your bedtime. 😴 Sure, you can stay up late and try to get more done, but at what cost? A lack of sleep today means less productivity tomorrow, so prioritize the rest your body needs.
- Practice gratefulness. 🥰 When you are watching your kids school program or sitting at the dinner table surrounded by friends and family, look at each person who is important to you, and be grateful. Then send that person some love 💛 in whatever ways you can.
So, what do you think? Which of these do you want to try this holiday season? Or do you have another tip you can share? Tell me in the comments… I can’t wait to hear from you! 🙂💛🌻